/Firefighter shot and killed responding to medical call

Firefighter shot and killed responding to medical call

Police in Wisconsin say there is “no ongoing threat to the community” after a Wisconsin firefighter was shot and killed while responding to a medical emergency at a bus depot Wednesday.

The firefighter, a 14-year veteran of the Appleton Fire Department, died hours after being shot, along with three other people, at the Transit Center in Appleton, about 100 miles north of Milwaukee.

The firefighter died after he was rushed to a local hospital, the department said in a statement posted to Facebook.

One of the other three shooting victims was an Appleton police officer who is now recovering at a local hospital.

Meghan Cash of the Appleton Police Department told ABC Green Bay affiliate WBAY that police and fire units were responding to the Transit Center for a medical call at around 5:30 p.m. local time. While they were treating an individual, “the incident escalated into shots being fired,” Cash said.

“It was a very quick scene … we had to get people to the hospital quickly,” she said. “So we’re just happy we could get them there and get them the medical attention they needed.”

WBAY reports that a viewer sent the station video of a man being handcuffed while on his stomach on a sidewalk. Police have not confirmed that anyone is custody, but say there is no longer a threat to the area.

Tori Mourning, a witness, told WBAY that at first it sounded like a lawnmower backfiring and then “I heard it again — I looked up because we can see the bus stop from my bedroom window.”

“I saw the guy shoot a female, and she went down,” Mourning added, “and another shot was fired, and there was another male, and he went down, and then I saw the shooter flee.”

Firefighters lined the street overnight as emergency vehicles escorted the body of the deceased firefighter to the Milwaukee County Medical Examiner’s Office.

ABC News’ Olivia Rubin and Ahmad Hemingway contributed to this report.